Village Proclaims September as Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

On September 7, 2021, the Village Board proclaimed September as Childhood Cancer Awareness Month in the Village of Sugar Grove to recognize that childhood cancer touches the lives of those who live in our community and to highlight the need for additional funding to fight this disease.

In 2012, President Obama proclaimed September as National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month to bring awareness to pediatric cancer, which remains the leading cause of death by disease for children under the age of 14. Pediatric cancer affects thousands of young Americans each year. This year, more than 10,000 of our Nation’s youth will be diagnosed with this tragic disease. Every September, America honors all those who have been affected by this life-threatening illness: young girls and boys whose childhoods have been cut short, the loved ones who know the pain pediatric cancer causes, and the communities across our country that rally to support their friends and neighbors during difficult times. Illinois alone is ranked 24 in the country for overall incident rates of childhood cancer.

This month is also an opportunity to shed light on the lack of federal funding for childhood cancer. Most of the budget (96%) from the National Cancer Institute goes toward adult cancer research. The other 4% goes toward research for childhood cancers. While there have been many new chemotherapy drugs developed for adults, children are generally given drugs developed for adults more than 30 years ago.

To learn more about how you can support the fight against childhood cancer, click here.

Sugar Grove