Animal Control

Title 5, Chapter 4 of the Village of Sugar Grove Municipal Code addresses Animal Control.  Please find excerpts below.  Click here to view the Municipal Code in its entirety.

Does my pet have to be on a leash?

While on the premises of their owner or keeper dogs must be properly restrained by one of the following methods:

  • Inside a secure enclosure, which shall include invisible fences.
  • On a leash or other tether which prevents the dog from crossing over the property of the premises owner or keeper to a public sidewalk or public right-of-way.
  • On a leash of sufficient strength and connection to the dog to prevent its escape and which is under the control of a capable person.
  • If not inside a secure closure or on a leash, the dog must be obedient to the commands of the owner or keeper. The owner or keeper must be present at all times.

Dogs off the premises of their owner must be restrained by either:

  • Being securely confined within a vehicle.
  • Within a secure enclosure (with the permission of the owner of the property) where the enclosure is located.
  • Physically controlled at all times by the owner or authorized person with a leash of sufficient strength and connection to the animal to prevent escape.

How many pets can I have?

The number of pets per household is also regulated.This regulation states that no more than four (4) dogs or cats, or other household domestic animals over four (4) months of age, are kept or on which more than two (2) such animals are boarded for compensation or kept for sale.

The Village does not license cats or dogs; however, anyone who keeps a dog or cat within the Village limits must maintain a current county license and rabies inoculation tag for each animal.


Violations of the above Ordinance should be reported to (630) 391-7250.  In the event that an animal is disturbing the peace, the Police Department may be contacted at (630) 391-7250. The Police Department will also pick up stray animals that have been contained for transport to the Kane County Department of Animal Control.

Dead Animals

Dead animals in the public roadway or on public property may be reported using the service request form or by calling (630) 391-7230. Village Staff is not able to dispose of dead animals that are on private property. Kane County Animal Control may be reached at (630) 232-3555.


We encourage you to remember to not approach any dog without the owner’s permission even if they are on a leash, and please teach your children the same.  Some dogs have quirks about how you approach them, where you touch them, and some just don’t like others.  Also take the time to remind children to not try to pet or play with any wildlife, they may be cute, but they can be dangerous as well.

Owning a dog is not just a privilege-it’s a responsibility and that responsibility does not end with providing food and shelter.  Just as we teach them to respect our own property we need to respect the property of others. Be a responsible owner and show others you care about your pet and that you respect others.   Don’t let your pet wander, leashed or not, into another person’s yard and do not leave their feces behind in anyone’s yard, a parkway, park or trail.   Did you know if you don’t you could be subject to fine of $100 to $750 if you don’t pick up after your dog?

And of course, have your pet microchipped.   Kane County Animal Control microchipping is available for as low as $15.00.   Visit their website at for information on registering your pet, vaccination clinics, and microchipping.


Updated:  October 2018

Sugar Grove