Update May 18, 2020: Last week, the contractor was on-site to finish excavating on Bliss Road and capping aggregate on IL Route 47, Wheeler Road, and Bliss Road. They finished subgrade improvements on Bliss Road and Wheeler Road. The contractor also poured all the curb on the north side of Wheeler Road, IL Route 47 & Bliss Road with the exception of the two driveway gaps on Bliss Road. This week, the contractor anticipates working on the median on IL Route 47, completing an undercut on IL 47, and grading the widening on Wheeler, 47 and Bliss in preparation for paving. Potential additional work to occur this week includes additional IL-47 median work, bike path improvements, grading ditches, and pouring driveways and ADA ramps weather permitting.
This spring construction will begin at the intersection of IL 47 and Bliss Road/Wheeler Road. The work will consist of constructing a right turn lane on the north leg (IL 47), a left turn lane on the west leg (Wheeler Road), dual left turn lanes on the east leg (Bliss Road) of the intersection as well as traffic signal modifications.
Crews will begin installing temporary traffic signals shortly with construction tentatively scheduled to begin May 1st. A fall 2020 completion date is anticipated.
To view a map of the project, click here.
Residents and commuters are urged to drive with caution through road construction work zones.
- Watch for workers – Keep an eye out for the safety colors of neon orange and yellow that all workers wear when on the roads.
- Keep a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you – One of the most common crashes in a work zone is a rear-end collision
- Follow the posted speed limit.
- Keep your eyes on the road and off your phone – Using a hand-held phone while driving is illegal in Illinois.
- Watch for signs advising of traffic shifts, roadway incidents and other warnings.