Crown Community Development withdrew their rezoning petition for approximately 760 acres at the intersection of I-88 and Sugar Grove Parkway (IL 47) in February 2019 citing the widespread public opposition as the reason for their decision. The development was to include warehouse and manufacturing as well as commercial and residential components.
Since that time all Village Board members have met with Crown representatives individually to share information and concerns regarding the proposed project. During the meetings Crown stated that they are considering all of their options to develop the property including talking to the Village of Elburn about the possibility of annexing to Elburn and developing the property as part of that community.
The Village of Sugar Grove and North Aurora recently approved a revised boundary agreement. Revised boundary agreements with Aurora and Batavia are expected to be approved this summer. The Village does not have a Boundary Agreement with Elburn. Sugar Grove and Elburn were discussing the creation of a boundary agreement, however, Elburn has put a hold on those discussions, we believe in part, due to Crown’s interest in annexing to their village.
On May, 16, 2019, Village staff and legal counsel participated in a conference call with Crown representatives and SB Friedman, the Village’s TIF development consultant, to discuss the status of the TIF eligibility report for the Crown property. The meeting resulted in the following action items:
- SB Friedman will complete the TIF Eligibility report.
- SB Friedman will start writing the TIF Redevelopment Plan for the area. A Redevelopment Plan is an assessment of an area in need of economic assistance and demonstrates why the area needs to be redeveloped and how the municipality plans to revitalize the area. Redevelopment Plans typically include the following elements:
- A description of the boundaries of the district recommended for redevelopment.
- A discussion of why the area needs redevelopment.
- Documentation as to how the area satisfies the “but for” requirement.
- Redevelopment goals and objectives for the area.
- An explanation of how the land in the proposed TIF district will be used.
- A budget for the life of the TIF district, including the total TIF‐eligible costs of the plan.
- An evaluation of the fiscal and programmatic impact on the overlapping taxing bodies.
- A description of the process to amend the plan.
- A statement of conformance with the municipality’s comprehensive plan.
- A timetable for redevelopment of the area.
- Due to safety concerns, Crown will demolish existing building remnants on the property.
The Village of Sugar Grove continues to believe that the Crown property should develop within the Village of Sugar Grove and remains engaged in constructing a solution that recognizes the concerns of the residents of Sugar Grove, the greater community, and Crown.