Police FAQS

What is overnight parking?

Village Ordinance: 6-3-4.

Parking any vehicle on any street within the village between the hours of two o’clock (2:00) A.M. to six o’clock (6:00) A.M. is prohibited. Should you have the occasional need to park on the street certain exceptions are allowed. However, you must contact the Sugar Grove Police Department (no more than 24 hours prior). The number to call is 630-391-7270

Overnight parking shall be allowed:

  • Two times per calendar month
  • When a property has been sealcoated an exception shall be allowed for a maximum of three days after sealcoating has been applied. (This exemption will not count towards the twice per calendar month exemption.)
  • During the following holidays: New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day and the day following Independence Day, Labor Day and the day following Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day following Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and the day following Christmas. (This exemption will not count towards the twice per calendar month exemption.)
  • The Chief of Police and his/her designee may also use his/her discretion to provide for lengthier exceptions based on individual circumstances, including, but not limited to, acts of nature, and limited time circumstances that are unlikely to reoccur. Incidences where the exception is granted for more than three continuous days hereunder shall be documented in writing by the Police Department. For this exception you must call the Police Department at 630-391-7250 during regular business hours. Regular office hours are Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Please be prepared to provide:

  • The vehicle registration number and state of issuance,
  • Description of the vehicle (make, model, color)
  • Address where parked
  • The name and phone number of the driver/owner

Village Code Section 6-3-7 (Winter Parking) takes precedence over the exceptions listed here. It shall be unlawful to park any vehicle on any public street within the village at any time during or after a snowfall wherein two (2) or more inches of snow have fallen until such street has been plowed.

Where can I park my camper, boat, utility trailer and etc. (vehicles)?

Village Ordinance: 6-3-8. Campers, boats, utility trailers and etc. (vehicles) may only be parked in a side or rear yard of any zoning lot. To be parked in a side or rear yard vehicles must be on an improved surface. An “improved surface” is defined as a surface construction of concrete, blacktop or paving stone which is complete and uninterrupted underneath all portions of the vehicle being placed on the surface. Vehicles, such as those described above, may be parked in the front yard driveway for a period not to exceed a total period of time (whether continuous or in the aggregate) of seventy two (72) hours for the sole purpose of loading and unloading such vehicles within any given fourteen (14) day period.

What is considered a noise complaint?

Village Ordinance: 4-5-1 & 4-5-2. Noise Prohibited: It shall be unlawful for any person to make, continue or cause to be made or continued any excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noise or any noise which either annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others within the limits of the Village.

Examples of these include but are not limited to: Horns, Signal Devices, Radios, Phonographs, Loud Speakers, Amplifiers, Yelling, Shouting, Whistling on Public Streets, Animals, Birds, Steam Whistles, Exhausts, Defect in Vehicle or Load, Loading, Unloading, Opening Boxes, and Construction or Repairing of Buildings.

How to make a complaint about noise and what are specific hours relating to complaints?

A complaint can be made by contacting the police department. In the event that the complaint is between the hours of eleven o’clock (11:00) P.M. and seven o’clock (7:00) A.M. the responding officer can sign the complaint. In the event that the complaint is not within the above hours the responding officer can not sign the complaint; callers in these cases would have to sign the complaint.

The construction, repairing or demolition of building (including excavation) may be conducted between the hours of six thirty o’clock (6:30) A.M. and eight thirty o’clock (8:30) P.M. except in the event that it is deemed urgent in the interest of public health and safety, and then only with a permit from the Building Inspector, which permit may be granted for a period not to exceed three (3) days or less while the emergency continues.

Do solicitors need to register with the village?

Village Ordinance: 3-4. Solicitors are required to register with the police department. It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in business as a canvasser or solicitor calling at residences in the village without the previous consent of the occupant when that canvasser or solicitor is engaging in any commercial enterprise such as soliciting orders, sales, subscriptions, or business of any kind, without having first registered in the office of the village police department. Pursuant to Section 3-4-9 hereof, religious, charitable, political, and other non-commercial canvassers and solicitors shall not be subject to this requirement when undertaking non-commercial canvassing or solicitation. No soliciting shall occur between the hours of eight o’clock (8:00) P.M. and eight o’clock (8:00) A.M.

Each person shall at all times, while engaged in the business of soliciting or canvassing in the Village of Sugar Grove, carry and display (so as to be easily seen by any person) upon his or her person the registration certificate, and the same shall further be presented for additional review, by such registrant whenever he or she is required to do so by any police officer or by any person solicited.

How do you stop solicitors from coming to your door?

Village Ordinance: 3-4-7A. Residents and other persons within the Village shall be entitled to post a “No Solicitors”, “No Solicitation”, or other similar sign on the property which they own or occupy, where it is reasonably visible to individuals who may approach the house, apartment, building or other edifice near or on which the sign is posted, in order to notify any such individual that no solicitation, canvassing or peddling of any type is desired by the occupant without the occupants prior approval.

What is the curfew for the Village of Sugar Grove?

Village Ordinance: 5-3-1A. It is unlawful for any person under the age of eighteen (18) to be present at or upon any public assembly, building, place, street or highway during the hours of applicability of this Ordinance, as described in Section C of this Ordinance, unless such a person satisfies one of the Exceptions to the Ordinance described in Section B.

Section B: No person shall be convicted of a violation of this ordinance if such person:

  • Is accompanied and supervised by a parent or legal guardian; or,
  • Is accompanied and supervised by some other responsible companion at least twenty-one (21) years of age, with their parent or legal guardian’s knowledge or consent; or,
  • Is presently engaged in interstate or international travel; or,
  • Is engaged on a necessary errand specifically authorized in a writing by the minor’s parent or legal guardian that features the following information:
  • The specific date and time of the errand;
  • The point of origination and destination for the errand; and,
  • The purpose of the errand


  • Is participating in, heading directly to, or returning directly from, without detour or stop:
    • Lawful employment; or,
    • School sanctioned activity; or,
    • A religious event; or,
    • An emergency involving the protection of a person or property from an imminent and unforeseen threat of serious bodily injury or substantial danger; or,
    • An activity involving the exercise of the minor’s rights protected under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution or protected under Article I Sections 4 or 5 of the Illinois State Constitution; and the minor’s home or residence;


  • Is on the sidewalk abutting the minor’s residence; or,
  • Is married, has been married, or is an emancipated minor under the Emancipation of Minors Act.

Section C: The hours of applicability of this Ordinance are as follows:

  • For persons who are under the age of Eighteen (18), the hours of applicability shall be:
    • * Between one minute after twelve o’clock (12:01) A.M. and six o’clock (6:00) A.M. Saturday and Sunday.
    • * Between eleven o’clock (11:00) P.M. on Sunday through Thursday, inclusive, and six o’clock (6:00) A.M. on the following day.

What is alarm registration and is it required?

Village Ordinance: 5-5. Registration Required: It shall be unlawful for any person to lease or own an alarm system or be in control of any premises wherein an alarm system is operated or maintained without first having obtained an alarm registration from the village. Exception: No registration shall be required for alarm systems contained in or on vehicles. Fee: The fee for an alarm user registration shall be fifteen dollars ($15.00) for each such alarm system registration. Application: An for an alarm user registration shall be filed with the Village Police Department within seventy two (72) hours of installation of said alarm system.

Issuance of Registration: The police department shall issue an alarm user or monitoring service registration within fifteen (15) days after a completed application has been approved by the Alarm Coordinator.

False Alarms-Notification: The Alarm Coordinator shall notify the alarm user or monitoring service of each instance wherein a false alarm was recorded, and in the case of the third recorded false alarm in any one calendar year, shall further notify the registrant that additional false alarms will result in the imposition of the fees set forth herein. Each registrant shall have the opportunity, within ten (10) days after the receipt of such notice, to submit a report to or meet with the Alarm Coordinator for the purpose of explaining the circumstances surrounding or cause(s) of any false alarm(s). Fee: If the police department responds to more that three (3) false alarms in a calendar year at the same premises, that alarm user or monitoring services shall pay the Village, within thirty (30) days after receiving notification of a false alarm, a thirty five dollar ($35.00) fee for each response in excess of three (3) false alarms in a calendar year.

What are vacation watches and how do I request one?

Vacation watches are a service the police department offers to residents who are going to be out of town for a period of time (example: vacation or business trip). The police department will provide extra patrols around your residence while you are away. To request such a service you need to contact or come to the police department. An officer will meet with you and complete a “.” This form will provide us with information about you and your home, the date you are leaving and returning, pets and their names, authorized persons (if any) to be on the property while you are away and any vehicles that are to be left at the residence. This sort of information provides us with the ability to identify and deal with any potential problems that may arise while you are away.

How can I get a copy of police reports?

To obtain a copy of a police report or civil report you need to come to the police department. Copies of accident reports are available at www.buycrash.com. Reports that are investigative in nature (example: cases that are still being investigated or currently being tried in the court system) are not commonly given out. To obtain copies of these types of reports a court ordered subpoena is usually required.

How and where can I pay a ticket?

If paying by mail: Payment must be received at least 3 business days prior to the court date. Tickets can be sent to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, P.O. Box 112, Geneva, IL 60134-0112. You can make personal checks, money orders or bank drafts payable to the order of Clerk of the Circuit Court, Kane County. You may also pay with Visa, Discover or Master Card, a $3 convenience fee is added to the transaction. DO NOT SEND CASH. (Also refer to the envelope provided to you by the officer).

If you are wishing to substitute your bond type (example: providing cash bond in return for your driver’s license): You can go to the Clerk of the Circuit Court office which is located in Geneva, IL on Randall Road just north of Route 38. You can substitute your bond type not sooner than ten (10) court days after arrest and not later than three (3) court days before the date set for appearance in court. This can be done provided the driver’s license was not mandatory for bond (example: Driving under the Influence).

Where can I renew my driver’s license?

You can renew your driver’s license at the Secretary of State office. The offices closest to Sugar Grove are in Aurora and Plano. The Aurora office is on Indian Trail one block east of Route 25. The telephone number there is 630-896-1911. The office hours in Aurora are Tuesday 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M., Wednesday-Friday 8:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. and Saturday 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. The office is closed on Sundays and Mondays.

The Plano office is on Route 34 at the east end of town. The telephone number for the Plano office is 630-552-4128. The office hours in Plano are Tuesday 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., Wednesday-Friday 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. and Saturday 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. The office is closed on Sundays and Mondays.

To renew your Illinois Driver’s License you will need to take it there with you. If you do not have it you will need to take your Illinois Identification Card or three (3) forms of identification one of which needs to have a current signature. You can also visit their website at www.cyberdriveillinois.com.

The Village ordinances listed above are not all inclusive. To view them in greater detail please view the Village of Sugar Grove Code.

Sugar Grove